Oil on canvas, 21 1/4 x 25 3/5 in. (54 x 65 cm). Signed lower right.
Accompanied by a Certificate of authenticity dated 19. Juni 2007 from Didier Imbert, Paris, who will include this painting in his forthcoming Catalogue raisonné with number A 2045 .
Provenance: Private collection, Switzerland
Price: - sold -
Gustave Loiseau was born in Paris. He was first apprenticed to a decorator, a job he very much disliked. It was only in 1887 that a legacy from his grandmother presented an opportunity to fulfill his aspiration to become a painter. After he had finished military service, he gave up his job and dedicated his life to painting.
His formal training took place at the Ecole des Arts Decoratifs in Paris and afterwards he joined the landscape artist Fernand Just Quignon in his studio in 1889.
Loiseau travelled to Pont-Aven in Brittany where he met Henry Moret, Maxime Maufra and other artists of the Pont-Aven School who influenced his style considerably. Loiseau’s early work showed a great debt to Camille Pissaro and Alfred Sisley.
After a period of experimenting with Pointillism, Loiseau found his own vision of French landscapes. He looked at nature with extraordinary sensitivity, defining structure and form with short brush strokes of broken colour, which places him firmly within the perception of Post- Impressionism.
Loiseau first exhibited at the Salon des Independents in 1893.
The leading art collector and primary patron of the Impressionists Paul Durand-Ruel put the artist under his contract in 1894. This success enabled Loiseau to travel widely in France, painting mainly in Normandy, in the Dordogne and Paris.
He held and are still holding patrons in the United States and in Europe collecting his work.
Learn more about this artist on www.gustaveloiseau.net